Richland County Government is advising residents of alternate ways to submit payments in a timely manner in light of nationwide delays for mail delivery this holiday season.
The County Treasurer’s Office was notified by the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) that the agency is experiencing delays in mail delivery because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the effects of winter weather and an increase in mail volume.
Residents who recently have sent payments should note:
- State law mandates counties recognize the USPS postmark date to determine whether payments are made on time.
- The Treasurer’s Office does not know how long individual mail will be delayed.
- The Treasurer’s Office processes payments when they are received from the USPS.
Residents concerned about mail delays are encouraged to:
- Pay online at richlandcountysc.gov/treasurer. (Note: Credit card fees apply.)
- Drop off a payment with bill coupon at any Synovus bank branch.
- Drop off a check payment with bill coupon at the payment box in the rear of the County Administration Building, 2020 Hampton St., Columbia. No cash payments are accepted.