Councilman Derrek Pugh was recently elected chair of the County’s revived Office of Small Business Opportunity (OSBO) Ad Hoc Committee.
As chair, Pugh will serve as County Council’s liaison to the office, which works to ensure all segments of the local business community can participate in contracts for construction, architectural and engineering services, professional services, non-professional services and commodities.
Pugh, who represents District 2, covering parts of Columbia and Blythewood, was installed in the position in early November. Pugh said the committee’s goal is to ensure small and minority-owned businesses have greater opportunities to prosper and participate in the continued development and success of Richland County.
“It’s vital that we focus on our small businesses because they are the heartbeat of what goes on in Richland County,” Pugh said.
In addition to Pugh, the OSBO Ad Hoc Committee includes Councilmembers Gretchen Barron (District 7), Chakisse Newton (District 11) and Jesica Mackey (District 9).
Other County committees include:
- Administration and Finance Committee – Councilman Bill Malinowski, chair
- Community Impact Grant Committee – Councilwoman Cheryl English, chair
- Coronavirus Ad Hoc Committee – Councilwoman Gretchen Barron, chair
- Development and Services Committee – Councilman Derrek Pugh, chair
- Economic Development and Industrial Park Committee – Councilman Paul Livingston, chair
- Employee Evaluation Oversight Ad Hoc Committee – Councilwoman Chakisse Newton, chair
- Nulla Bona Committee: Councilwoman Jesica Mackey, chair
- Richland County Detention Center Task Force-Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center & Jail Combined Committee – Councilwoman Cheryl English, chair
- Rules and Appointments Committee – Councilwoman Gretchen Barron, chair
- Sewer Ad Hoc Committee-voting member – Councilman Bill Malinowski, chair
- Strategic Planning Ad Hoc Committee – Councilwoman Jesica Mackey, chair
- Transportation Ad Hoc Committee – Councilwoman Jesica Mackey, chair
Find a complete list of County committees, including information on vacancies and how to apply for open positions, at www.richlandcountysc.gov/Government/Committees. For more information, call the County Clerk of Council’s Office: 803-576-2060.