Welcome to Building Codes and Inspections
Richland County Council proclaimed the month of May as "Building Safety Month"
Bringing Citizens and Government Together
The Richland County Department of Building Codes and Inspections is committed to the courteous, impartial and professional application of the adopted building codes for the permitted construction and maintenance of buildings within Richland County. The department personnel strive for customer service with a pro-active building code program for safe structures. We remain service oriented to assist our customers, providing better communication, education and safety for our residents.
- Building Plan Reviews – A building plan review is required before a building permit can be issued for all residential owners and all commercial construction.
- Building Permits - A building permit must be issued before starting any new building construction or making additions, alterations, renovations, and demolition of existing structures. Examples of permits are building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, etc.
- Building Inspections – Inspections are required per building codes after the building permit has been issued at pre-determined intervals based on the type of permit issued.
- Manufactured Housing Permits – Any mobile home or manufactured home that has been placed on property receive a permit in order to have electricity turned on.
- Unsafe Housing – This program is chartered to provide safer housing and neighborhoods by requiring the renovation of repairable structures and demolishing structures that are a danger to you or your neighborhood.
Scope of Services:
- Process applications for: building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits
- Enforce county ordinances related to building codes
- Interpret building codes
- Perform inspections for approved construction projects
- Enforce compliance with codes, regulations, ordinances, and construction requirements.
- Review construction plans for commercial buildings and residential owner/builder projects
- Issue building permits
- The department does not design buildings, provide building plans, and perform inspections on existing structures where no construction permit has been issued.