Welcome to the Online Business Service Center!
Thank you for visiting our online office today. We're glad you're here. We hope you find this information helpful - and hope you find the information you are looking for. If not, please let us know so we can add this information.
It is the Business Service Center's mission to serve Richland County's diverse business community with outstanding customer service while
- collecting business-related revenues fairly, equitably, and conveniently;
- issuing business-related licenses and permits accurately and promptly;
- enforcing the County's business requirements equitably, effectively, and efficiently; and
- educating the business community regarding those requirements proactively and collaboratively.
Thank you for doing business in Richland County; we appreciate your business. Your company helps make the Richland County community a great place to live, work, and visit.
Looking for a Licensed Contractor?
Whenever you are having work done on your home, it is always a good idea to make sure that any contractor you use is properly licensed by the State and by the County. There are several place to look for licensed contractors.
- The State Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation is the State agency that licenses contractors. Their website is https://verify.llronline.com/liclookup/LookupMain.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1. If you are looking for a residential contractor, you may select either "Contractors - Commercial" or "Residential Builders" from the drop-down list, and enter the company's name or the owner's name.
- To see if the company has a current Richland County business license, please scroll down to the link below for Currently Licensed Businesses.
- Another good place to check out a company is the Better Business Bureau, which has an Accredited Business Directory online at http://www.bbb.org/columbia/accredited-business-directory.
- Yet another good place to look for a company is the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce, which has a searchable Business Directory online at http://members.columbiachamber.com/sbaweb/members/advancedsearch.asp.
Richland County business licenses expired December 31, 2013!
Inspectors are now out in the field visiting businesses that have not yet obtained their 2014 business license. If your business has not yet renewed, please renew online today at Online Renewal to avoid a citation to Magistrate's Court. All applicable approvals, licenses, and permits must be obtained, and all applicable fees and taxes must be paid current before a business license will be issued.
Click here for Instructions on completing the Business License Renewal Application.
Click here to SAVE MONEY and AVOID PENALTIES! Complete our new Checklist for Business License Renewals to avoid having your renewal application and payment returned or delayed.
Richland County Business Handbook
The Business Service Center has updated the Richland County Business Handbook for 2014. This easy-to-read Business Handbook describes the County’s various requirements to do business in Richland County. The County strongly urges all businesses - and their accountants - to be familiar with these requirements to help ensure they are operating lawfully.
New Transportation Penny Tax Started on May 1, 2013
Please be aware that all retail sales tax rates in Richland County were increased by one penny beginning May 1, 2013. If you have specific questions about this new penny tax, please call the State Department of Revenue Sales Tax Division at 803-896-1420. Please see the Sales & Use Tax Chart showing the sales tax rates for different types of purchases in Richland County.
1st floor of the County Administration Building
2020 Hampton Street, Suite 1050 (just inside the back door)
corner of Hampton and Harden Streets
- free parking is available in the lot behind the building
P.O. Box 192, Columbia, SC 29202
Phone number: (803) 576-2287
Fax number: (803) 576-2289
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Additional Business Service Center Material
- Business Licenses: Online Renewal or calculate your fees online. Use our new Checklist for Online Renewals to avoid delays and avoid penalties.
- Hospitality Taxes: Personalized Vouchers
- Local Accommodations Taxes: Pay Online
Events & Deadlines
* Please remember that all business licenses expire on Dec. 31. The deadline to renew is March 15. This list of licensed businesses is not updated until after the backlog of license applications have been completed, usually around April 15. The list is then updated periodically through the year.
Find Your Business Location
Find Your NAICS Code