The following are highlights from Richland County Government in September.
· Richland County Development Services, which includes several departments and divisions, received the Government Customer Service Community of Practice (Cgov) 2015 Overall Excellence Award. This is one of several national awards Development Services has received over the past several months for its recent upgrades and reorganization that have allowed it to become more efficient and customer friendly.
· Richland County residents heard tips and advice for being frugal this holiday season at a free financial workshop organized by Richland County Community Development.
· Richland County Councilwoman Julie-Ann Dixon, District 9, hosted a “say no to domestic violence” town hall meeting in recognition of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
· Richland County Councilmen Damon Jeter, District 3, Jim Manning, District 8, Greg Pearce, District 6, and Kelvin Washington, District 10, welcomed residents at a public meeting about the development of the new Decker Center. The Decker Center, formerly an old shopping center, is transforming into a new home for the Central Court Magistrate, a Sheriff’s Department substation and space for community gatherings.
· The Richland County Soil and Water Conservation District helped organize a pasture field day, where attendees learned about pasture management, weed control, soil health and other topics through hands-on demonstrations.
· Richland County Community Development celebrated the completion of the Monticello Road Streetscraping Project. The project included sidewalk construction, new street lights, a new pocket park, ADA-compliant pedestrian ramps, new street signs, a retaining wall and several other improvements throughout the Ridgewood community.
· Richland County Solid Waste & Recycling held a community recycling event for residents to drop off household items that aren’t normally collected through curbside recycling. More than 200 cars dropped off electronics, tires, scrap metal and more.